If you’re like most homeowners, your garage door is one of the most used and abused pieces of equipment in your home. That’s why it’s important to know how to do some basic garage door repair. By following these tips, you can keep your garage door working properly for years to come.
- Do a visual inspection – The first step to any repair is to take a look at the problem. With a garage door, this means inspecting the tracks, springs, pulleys, cables and posts. Look for any signs of damage or wear and tear. If you spot something that looks damaged, then it’s time to start making repairs.
- Check the tracks – The tracks are what the garage door rolls along as it opens and closes. If these tracks become bent or damaged, then the door won’t be able to move properly. Use a level to check if the tracks are level and in good condition. If they’re not, then use a hammer or other tool to straighten them out.
- Lubricate the tracks and parts – One of the best ways to keep your garage door working properly is to regularly lubricate the tracks and all of the moving parts. This will help to reduce friction and wear and tear. You can use a special garage door lubricant or WD-40.
- Tighten up the hardware – Over time, bolts and screws can become loose. This can cause all sorts of problems, including noise and the door becoming misaligned. Check all of the hardware and tighten it up as needed.
- Replace worn out parts – Finally, if you spot any parts that are damaged beyond repair, then it’s time to replace them. This includes things like springs, cables and pulleys. You can usually find replacement parts at your local hardware store.
Follow these tips and you should be able to do a basic garage door repair on your own. However, if the problem is more serious, then it’s best to call in a professional garage door replacement Poquoson company.